At Free Hot Water, our customers have different reasons for wanting to go solar now. It used to be that people chose solar hot water for their home as a lifestyle choice. Today, the reasons include lifestyle, but go way beyond that. Here are three reasons we hear most often:
1) There are new solar hot water rebates and incentives.
Thanks to Federal and local incentives, solar hot water systems have never been more affordable. With lower up front costs and faster payback, there’s very little reason not to go solar if your home or apartment building has the right conditions for solar hot water.
- Use our solar hot water calculator to see an estimate of much money solar will cost and save you.
- Check the list of Federal and state solar water heating rebates available in your area. Today, residential solar hot water systems receive an uncapped 30% federal investment tax credit.
- Or skip the above and simply contact us for a free, no obligation quote. We’ll fill you in on all of the incentives available in your area and give you a precise quote for your home.
2) People want to reduce their carbon footprint and environmental pollutants.
Regardless of whether or not you believe in man-made global warming, gas, oil, propane, and electric hot water do emit mercury, CO2, or other pollutants into the air, increasing the risk for asthma, certain types of cancer, and other negative health effects.
Then there are the environmental cost of coal mining and oil and gas drilling, including off shore oil spills, water contamination, and coal mining disasters. Here are some facts:
- A family of four consumes an average of 3,684 Kilowatts of electricity to heat water.
- For every 1kWh of energy produced by a coal-fired power station, 2.2 pounds of CO2 is produced. Therefore, the above family releases 6.4 metric tons of greenhouse gases annually for heating water.
- In comparison, the family car will emit half as much pollution over the same period of time!
- Calculate your own carbon footprint with our Carbon Dioxide Emissions Calculator.
Many customers feel that switching to solar hot water is one way to do their part to reduce emissions and demand for these energy sources. Here’s how solar hot water can be an affordable solution:
- A solar hot water system can eliminate 80% of annual hot water heating energy needs, substantially reducing your gas or electric bill and the associated environmental impact.
- In fact, during the summer, a solar hot water system will provide 100% of your hot water needs.
- Solar thermal systems can now be designed to offset your homes heating and air conditioning, further reducing your carbon foot print.
- Specifically, the above family could reduce their carbon footprint by 5.2 metric tons annually, using a high efficiency solar system by Free Hot Water.
3) People want more energy independence.
Many customers are frustrated by rising utility rates and feel they have no way to stop those increases. Purchasing a solar hot water system is one way to lock in rates for the next 20 to 25 years without worrying about rate increases.
- Keep in mind that most residential solar hot water systems will be backed up by the utility. But as mentioned above, 80% of your annual hot water needs can be eliminated from the utility’s books, and instead put that savings into your pocket.
- Free Hot Water solar systems are a mature, reliable, low-maintenance source for hot water.
- Free Hot Water residential solar thermal kits come with a 10 year limited warranty, but typically last for 20 to 25 years! How’s that for energy independence?
Whatever your reason for going solar, please contact us if you have any questions or would like a free evaluation of a solar hot water system for your residential or commercial application.